We had a busy weekend doing nothing

Unless you consider spending 3 hours making cookies, "swacking" a pinata with a boat oar, playing pin the tail on the donkey, chess with family, racing through inflatable obstacle courses something.  In that case we did a lot!  I planned a last minute Cinco De Mayo party with full intentions of rocking Pinata cookies that I saw on Pinterest.  We spent Friday night driving around Boise to find cookie cutters shaped like a burro.  Surprisingly, this proved difficult.  We settled on the "farm animal" collection and a star shape at Zurchers.  When I was there they had Pinatas!  Hello, that is awesome and so for good measure I walked down the Cinco de Mayo aisle throwing everything in my cart.  We invited Fabiola and Isabel over to join in the festivities and to provide us with authentic Mexican food.  It was a blast and I hope there is always a reason to "swack" a pinata.  Swack is a term our girls say so much that Matt and I have started using it in everyday conversation.  And once again Matt reigns as Pinata master after he beat it down with a shovel.          
Isn't our Pinata pretty?
Step 1:  Make Sugar Cookie Dough
Step 2: Divide into four equal parts.
Step 3: Dye with gel food coloring. 
Step 4: Layer colors in a loaf tin and freeze for 2 hours.
Step 5: Cut in thin slices.  
Step 6: Cut out shapes.
Step 7: Cook for 10-15 minutes.
Step 8: Remove the "belly" of the burro and replace with M &Ms .
Step 9: Stick 2 cookies together using frosting. 
Total impulse buy!

 Matt and I joke that our families are so different from one another.  My family will come over and easily stay for 5 hours.  We eat, play cards, and talk until the wee hours of the night.  Matt's family will all come over and like a hurricane of fun they are gone.  Matt's uncle Sam is slowly changing this by having game nights at his house. As an avid chess player, Maddy knows the rules and how the game is played but Sam is teaching her strategy.  I love it!  Some of my best childhood memories were spent playing cards with my grandma.  I am glad our girls are forming these same memories.  

Here are some pictures from the park tonight!




Comments

Popular Posts