The road less traveled...

So everybody knows that Washington DC is home to the white house and the Washington monument, but did you know it also has the largest Catholic church in all of the Americas?  Larger than churches found in Mexico?  Well until my husband did some research me neither.  Many of our Catholic friends raved about how beautiful this basilica is and how it really is a must see.  3 metro stops later and creepily following a priest (who luckily was going to mass) I found myself in awe of the magnitude and beauty that this church holds.  I attended mass celebrating Pentecost and it truly was worth the trip.  
Breathtaking
Beautiful Mosaic of tongues of fire falling on the disciples and Mary.  
Our lady of Guadalupe
So confession time... I am a total "foodie."  And worse the power of suggestion will lead me across country and into another state (Virginia) to wait in line for a famous Georgetown cupcake.  This little bakery has been made famous by the reality show on TLC entitled DC Cupcakes.  Maddy and I watch this show almost weekly so I knew that it was a must.  Wait in line to see the Declaration of Independence? Yes.  Wait in line to see the Panda's at the zoo?  No.  Side note don't even bother going to this zoo, totally lame.  Wait in line for a cupcake?  Heck Yeah!  In 19 minutes I pondered my order and made friends with everyone around me and so you know I would totally do it again.  I ordered 6 cupcakes and ate 2.  Leaving 4 to travel back to Idaho and into Maddy's hot little hands.  They made it (barely) and she was so excited.  
     




All in all a great trip... but there is no place like home!  
Ruby Red slippers from the Wizard of Oz can be seen in the American History Museum

Comments

Popular Posts