Number 18: Bad News Bears


The whole idea of the bucket list is to stretch out of my comfort zone and do things that are more adventurous than I would typically do left to my own devices.  So when an opportunity came to join a coed kickball league, I thought what the heck and signed up.  Number 18 was to join a softball league and this is pretty dang close (plus a lot bigger ball equals less chance of striking out, right?!)  
Our kickball team consists of scientists and their spouses.  I have never seen a full episode of the 'Big Bang Theory' but I imagine it to be like that.  First off our team name is "The Sphere Factor" like a play on the show Fear Factor.  I have to say I am greatly amused by our name.  Tuesday was our first game  (I promise to take pictures this week) and it was a massacre.  To paint the picture for you...  Our team is passing babies, dancing to 80's rap music, and doing some pathetic stretching.  All of us are in our early 30s and let's be honest  not the most athletic bunch.  The other team has 10 guys and 3 girls and they are all ripped (even the girls were all muscled.)  They have matching shirts, cleats, gloves, and are doing some intense kickball drills.  If you asked the question what does a kickball drill look like, then you should be on our team because we have no clue.  Long story short they were up 9-0 first inning!  The final score was 14-4.  I was pretty happy that we held them at 10 points until someone informed me that they have a good sportsmanship rule allowing the winning team to only get 10 points above the losing team's score.  Even though we were playing against the world's best kickball team, I had a blast.  There was lots of cheering, baby snuggling,  dancing, and even a little game playing to be had.  I made it to 1st base my first time up at "bat" and  to 3rd base the 2nd time.  I also made 2 pretty decent plays in the outfield.  So all in all a success.  
I know this is what losers say but it wasn't about winning.  The other team came over after the game to give us some pointers and let's be honest if we were that intense I wouldn't be having fun.  I can't wait for this weeks game!

Comments

Popular Posts