Memories

When I became a mother someone shared this all to true statement with me "the days are long, but the years are short."  This thought echoes through my head almost every day as I referee arguments, change dirty diapers, make dinner, and clean the kitchen (OK, Matt cleans the kitchen but I think it as I watch him scrub away).  Just as the drudgery of the day can get me down one of my beautiful daughters will say something adorable or hilarious or new and I will think I want to remember this moment forever.  I started this blog largely in part to serve my memory with these little details.    
As I am writing this post, I would love to tell you that I am overlooking the ocean with only my thoughts and a cold beverage to keep me company a la a Kelle Hampton post.  And to be honest I have thought about writing this post for over two weeks with at least three attempts and forgot all that I wanted to say.  I am sure that I will leave things out but I have to get jot something down.
Clara and her "leggy bug":  Clara has a favorite doll!  After years of carrying a blanket and coveting whatever toy Sophie was holding, she finally has found something to call her very own.  Her Leggy bug as she calls her has a special voice and she tells me that she loves me every night.

I had to pretty much force her to wear a Halloween costume  but now she loves it.

 The Evolution of the "shimmy shake":  Since Clara was 3 months old when you would lay her down to change her diaper or swaddle her she would do this little shimmy.  By the time she was 8 months she would "shimmy shake on command."  It has now evolved to her saying "I shake my boochie."  In case you are not familiar with the boochie, it is the nice word the girls call there butts
Clara covered in stickers!

Sophie LOVES Clara:  I am not talking she has to like her because she is her sister.  She loves her like a child loves their blanket (All Fergie quotes are completely unintentional) or a favorite stuffed animal.  She pets her and talks to her as a source of comfort.  In recent months, Clara does not love all the attention and can get a little feisty.  I am only half joking when I say that Matt and I decided to have another baby so Sophie has someone to direct all of her "mothering" to.           



Say Yes to the Dress:  One of my coworkers Jenna is getting married this weekend.  Maddy and Sophie are so excited to be the flower girls.  I showed the girls a picture of Jenna's dress and Maddy said "oh, is that a Mermaid style?"  Can you tell we watch too many TLC reality shows in this house?!  Maddy quickly added when she gets married she will also be in a mermaid gown.  I asked Sophie what type of dress she would like to wear.  All flustered she bursts out "I will have to go on to Say Yes to the Dress because I just don't know yet!"  Thankfully, she has some time to decide all the details and Matt and I have some time to hold our babies before they are all grown up.  




 Our backyard backs up to a common area and also a fairly busy street.  The girls were playing soccer in the backyard and the ball went over the fence.  Maddy ran inside and asked if she could go get it.  I agreed after giving her a list of do's and don'ts.  Matt and I looked at one another and without even saying a word we knew what each other was thinking.  The same corner where other children catch the bus yet it seemed like such a huge step for her (and more importantly us.)    



And lastly... the training wheels came off.  



Comments

Popular Posts