Number 48: Visit all 50 states (almost there)

This item has not been officially crossed off the bucket list because of those dang mid western states like Nebraska and Kansas remain.  However, this past week I was able to cross off 3 states in the north east; Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.  I was asked to speak at a conference on plant pathology in Providence, Rhode Island (o.k. I was the fill in but still talking in front of a bunch of smart people was still slightly intimidating.)  For the record speaking in front of people is not on the bucket list for the same reason touching a mouse is not, it scares the crap out of me and I avoid it at all costs.  It went well and I held my own and tons of people complemented me afterwards, so a total success.  In other fun news I was able to do a little sightseeing and caught up with an old friend while back east. 
       

Boston, Massachusetts:  Officially the coolest city I visited during this trip.  Full of history and character I had a blast walking around seeing the sites and all the distractions I was able to stumble upon.  I have seen Good Will Hunting and Rizzoli and Isles so I just walked to streets without a map and a plan.  Fortunately, they have a red line that guides you to all things tourist.   

      The U.S.S Constitution          





Paul Revere:  

 

 

 City Highlights:  
The Saturday market was the best value on fresh produce I have ever seen.  Merchants line the street with this weeks crops and what they are unable to unload on local restaurants they discount for the public.  Seriously, a pint of raspberries for 50 cents or a bag of avocados for 1.50! 
Street performers are everywhere!
These guys were my favorite with a blend of humor and awesome dance moves.  

Historic bars line the street.
The fire stations are on display for kids to tour.
What an awesome home school trip which we still need to do.
Boston Harbor
Religious Influences:  


Celebrating a  feast day is an all out affair.
Cathedral of the Holy Cross
 Rhode Island:  The true gem of this state are all the beaches.  I was able to go to Narragansett, a beautiful beach town.  The less beach y pictures are of down town Providence.     






Connecticut:  I can see why New Englanders visit Connecticut to get escape the hustle and bustle of city life.  The only place I was able to drive without white knuckles.  A perfect mix of small beach towns and farms.  It is also home to my friend Katie.  We have known each other since 7th grade when our two elementary schools merged into one junior high.  I was able to extend my stay and visit her beautiful family for 2 days before heading home.  Her daughter Autumn is precious.  She has such a fun personality and cute little voice.  I still miss how she said "Artesia's here" about a million times a day.  Even though I was hoping and praying Katie did not go into labor during my visit.  She is due any day and I expect to see pictures of her newest baby girl in less that a week.  Also, worth mentioning Katie knows how to scope out the best ice cream stands in a 50 mile radius a very important skill in my book.    

2 words for you...
Watermelon Slushies, a pregnant woman's necessity in 80% humidity.   



The front of the Vanderbilt Mansion.


Katie and Autumn.



Comments

Popular Posts