Too much excitement...

I feel like we earned our badge of living in the midwest now that we can say we survived our first tornado!  For so many reasons, Matt and I find ourselves as fish out of water here.  Today we were quite the site.  

This picture was taken about 30 minutes from our house!
This is how our day went...My grandma texted me early in the day alerting me to the fact a tornado warning had been issued for our area.  I look around and there was a slight chill in the air, just like any other November day.  We went home and had some lunch. The kids and I layed down to take a nap and the next thing I know tornado sirens are going off. After throwing on some leggings to my pajamas we loaded the kids into the car and went to the grocery store across the street from our house.  There we are pacing around looking for some sort of shelter in our pajamas (only one of the four kids has shoes on!) while everyone else is shopping like nothing.  Seriously people there are sirens for a reason!  If that was not enough, anyone who made eye contact with me I would tell "we aren't from around here what do we do."  Deciding the dairy section was our best bet, we just creepily lurked around as everyone else continued buying next week's groceries.  Then the lights went out and a nice lady who worked at the store asked us if we wanted to go to the back room.  Thank God we had been wanting to go in the back room for the past hour!  Now the next part is up for interpretation but I swear Matt busted past people, knocking small children out of the way, to get to the tornado shelter.  Of course there was the mom of the group who kept assuring us that everyone was going to be o.k. and the guy who said "I hope this clears the leaves off my lawn."  We waited for approximately 2 minutes and then in a very anticlimactic fashion we were told all was clear.  We walked up and down every aisle for the next hour until the power came on and Benedict remembered that he had not had a bottle.  Matt made sure to call everyone he knows to tell them that we were safe and sound (most not knowing anything was wrong.)  Just in case you were worried, or more likely did not know anything was up, we are safe and sound.  Thankful to be able to sleep in our beds tonight and give our kids an extra special squeeze.  
  
Then there is this guy... Who decided to climb out of his crib!  Our three girls never, not once, even attempted such a stunt.  This little ninja however can not be contained.  We lowered his bed in hopes that will help.  His only injury was a small scrape on the nose.       

 


In other news... I took the GRE on Saturday.  I am pleased with the outcome and more pleased that I don't need to study over our upcoming trip to Boise.  
  

Comments

  1. Those sirens are unnerving! We had a basement that I huddled in with my little boys more than once...it's so crazy how calm it is before it hits. I would have never thought of the grocery store shelter. Glad you guys are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Lord! I don't ever want to hear one of those sirens in my life. So glad you are safe and so glad your baby ninja is too. Boys are different aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts